- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, brown half of the meat at a time in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent. Add the beer, broth, ketchup and soy sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours or until the meat is fork tender. Remove from the oven.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Place the skillet over medium heat. Drizzle in the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve the beef with the vegetables. Also delicious served over barley.
If you have a pressure cooker at home, it'll handle this beef recipe in a speedy 20 minutes. In order to get the perfect consistency for the sauce, just reduce it separately in a saucepan and thicken it with cornstarch.