- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Using a fork, prick the sweet potatoes a few times and place on a plate. Cook in the microwave oven for 6 minutes or until tender, turning halfway through cooking. Let rest for 5 minutes. Cut in half and scoop the flesh into a large bowl. Mash with a fork. You will need 1 cup (250 ml) of sweet potato mash. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, spices and salt.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and molasses with an electric mixer. Add the sweet potato mash and egg. Mix until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low, or with a wooden spoon, until the dough is smooth.
- Using a 3-tbsp (45 ml) ice cream scoop, shape the cookies and place them on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 15 minutes or until cooked but still moist. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Cooking the sweet potato in the microwave oven before adding it to the recipe is a great time-saving shortcut. The sweet potatoes make these cookies extra tender —guaranteeing these treats stay super-soft— and they’re full of good-for-you nutrients. The kids won’t even realize they’re having their sweets and vegetables, too!