- With the rack in middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Butter a 20 x 10-cm (8 x 4-inch) loaf pan.
- In a bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into the previous mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Unmould and let cool on a rack. Level the top of the cake, if necessary.
- Slice the cake in half horizontally.
- In a bowl, beat all the ingredients with an electric mixer. Spread half the frosting on a layer of cake. Layer the raspberries. Place the second cake layer on the first and spread the remaining buttercream on top of the cake.
- On a work surface, sprinkle icing sugar. Roll out the almond paste with a rolling pin to get a rectangle the same size as the top of the cake, about 20 x 10-cm (8 x 4-inch). Place on the cake.
- With a sharp knife, level or square the sides of the cake. If you have any remaining buttercream, you can decorate the base of the cake with a pastry bag, as in the picture. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. This cake can be stored in a cool place.