- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C).
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, brown the shanks on both sides in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same pot, soften the onion and garlic in the cooking fat. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze with the wine. Add the shanks, broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Add the carrot and fennel. Turn the shanks, cover and bake for another hour or until the meat is fork tender. Remove the bay leaf and adjust the seasoning.
- In a large skillet over high heat, brown the garlic in the oil. Remove the garlic clove. Add the peas and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the chicken broth and cook for 2 minutes or until almost all of the broth has evaporated and the peas are tender crisp.
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
- Place the pork shanks, vegetables and sauce in the skillet with the green peas. Garnish with the gremolata. Serve with a long pasta or slices of country bread, toasted.