- In a 24-cup (6 litre) pot, bring 2 cups (500 ml) of the water to a boil with the salt and brown sugar. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the peppercorns, bay leaves and remaining water. Place the turkey in the brine. Weigh it down with a plate to keep it completely submerged. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
- In a skillet over medium heat, soften the onion, garlic and cranberries in 1 tbsp of the butter. Once the cranberries start to burst, continue cooking for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside in a bowl.
- In the same skillet, brown the pork in the remaining butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add the pear and continue cooking for 2 minutes, then add the fortified wine and broth. Let reduce until almost dry. Stir in the breadcrumbs and nutmeg. Adjust the seasoning. Transfer to the bowl of cranberries and combine. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- With the rack in the bottom position, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Drain the turkey roast and pat dry with paper towels. On a work surface, unroll the roast and lay it flat, skin side down. Spread the stuffing over the centre of the breasts and roll the roast back up. Slide several pieces of butcher’s twine under the meat, letting them extend on either side. Tie the roast and cut off the excess twine.
- Place the roast in a baking dish and drizzle with oil. Roast for 1 hour 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the centre of the stuffing reads 165°F (74°C). If necessary, add a small amount of water to the baking dish to prevent the cooking juices from burning. Set aside the cooking juices. Let the roast rest while making the gravy.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the onion and garlic in the butter. Sprinkle in the flour and mix well. Add the broth, fortified wine and reserved cooking juices. While whisking constantly, bring to a boil. Simmer over high heat for 10 minutes or until the gravy has thickened. Adjust the seasoning. Strain, if desired.
- Serve the turkey roast with the gravy. Delicious accompanied by a purée of your choice and green beans.