- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and half the sugar.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add the remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the egg yolks, oil, vanilla and milk. Blend well with the electric mixer.
- With a spatula, fold in the egg whites until just incorporated.
- Fill the cones up to the edge with batter. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool, then frost.
- In a bowl, beat the butter, icing sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Divide the frosting into thirds. One part will be used as is, add cocoa powder in the second for a chocolate frosting and red food coloring in the third, to mimic strawberry ice cream. Frost the cakes.