- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a small pot, bring all of the ingredients to a boil while whisking. Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place the apples in an 8-inch (20 cm) square glass baking dish. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, butter and egg with an electric mixer for 3 minutes. With the machine on low speed, whisk in the dry ingredients alternating with the milk. Pour the batter over the apples and drizzle with the sauce.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.