- Using a small knife, scrape off the pointed edges of the starfruit (to remove some of the bitterness) and cut the flesh into pieces
- In a blender, purée the starfruit with the orange juice until smooth.
- Line a sieve with a double layer of cheesecloth. Place over a bowl. Filter the starfruit mixture through the sieve, pressing down with the back of a ladle to extract as much juice as possible. You will need a total of ¾ cup (180 ml) of juice.
- In a bowl ready for a double boiler, off the heat, whisk together the starfruit juice, condensed milk, cream, egg yolks and nutmeg. Place over a pot of simmering water and stir until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the bowl from the double boiler and let cool.
- Pour the mixture into popsicle moulds (see note) and insert popsicle sticks into the centre of each mould.
- Freeze for 6 hours or until the popsicles are set. To help unmould the popsicles, run the bottom of the moulds under warm water.
To keep everything tidy, use a measuring cup with a lip to pour the starfruit mixture into the popsicle moulds.