- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- On a work surface, cut each chicken wing through the joints into three pieces. Keep the two large pieces and discard the wing tips (the small pointed piece where there is no meat). Pat the wings very dry with paper towel.
- Place the wings on a non-stick baking sheet. Toss with the salt, pepper and oil. Arrange the wings in a single layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until nicely golden. Remove from the oven. Turn the wings over and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot over medium-high heat, soften the shallot in the butter. Add the piri piri and paprika. Cook for 1 minute while stirring. Add the vinegar. Simmer for 2 minutes while stirring or until the sauce thickens. Keep warm while the wings cook.
- Pour the sauce into a large bowl. Add the wings and toss well to coat in the sauce.
Chicken wings are sold whole or in pieces. If they are whole, you will need to separate them into pieces as described above. Regardless of how you buy them, you will need a total of 24 pieces.