- Purée all ingredients in the food processor. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Add the egg and beat until the mixture is smooth. Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. Using your hands, shape the dough into two discs. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured work surface, roll each disc of cookie dough into a 35 x 10-cm (14 x 4-inch) rectangle. Spread the fig filling lengthwise down the middle of each rectangle. Beginning with the longer edge, roll into a cylinder. Turn the cylinder seam side down, then flatten slightly with a rolling pin.
- Cut each cylinder into 10 cookies and transfer to cookie sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on a rack.