- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- On a non-stick or parchment paper-lined baking sheet, toss the squash with the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small, dry skillet over medium heat, warm the cumin seeds until fragrant. Using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, crush the cumin seeds.
- In a food processor, purée the squash with the almond butter, lemon juice and crushed cumin seeds until smooth. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the food processor as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow serving bowl, making decorative waves in the surface with the back of a spoon. Drizzle with olive oil, letting it fall into the crevasses. Garnish with the apple and almonds, if desired. Drizzle with maple syrup, if desired, and sprinkle with cumin seeds. Serve with the crackers. The spread will keep for 1 week in an airtight container in the refrigerator.