- Place the eggs in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes to bring them to room temperature. Drain.
- In a pot of simmering water, cook the eggs for 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove 3 eggs from the pot and plunge into a bowl of ice water. Cook the remaining eggs for 2 more minutes and plunge into a second bowl of ice water. Let cool for 15 minutes. Peel the eggs, rinse and pat dry, making sure to keep the two batches of eggs separated.
- In another bowl, mash the 5 eggs that cooked for 10 minutes with a fork. Add the mayonnaise and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the 3 eggs that cooked for 8 minutes in half lengthwise.
- Meanwhile, on a work surface, using a bread knife, remove the crust from the bread (see note). Cover the bread with a clean dishcloth until the eggs are ready.
- Spread out half of the bread slices and cover with the smoked salmon, cutting the slices to fit, as needed. At the centre of each sandwich, place 1 tsp of the fish roe. Place 1 egg half, cut side down, over the fish roe. Cover the remaining bread slices with the mashed egg mixture. Close the sandwiches. Cut the sandwiches into two rectangles, making sure to cut through the egg lengthwise. Wipe down the knife between each cut.
You can dry out the crusts and use them to make breadcrumbs.