- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place the bread slices on the baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a food processor, purée the almond paste, eggs and rum until smooth. Set the almond cream aside.
- In a sieve set over a bowl, drain the peaches and set the syrup aside. Slice the peaches.
- Using a pastry brush, cover one side of each bread slice with the peach syrup. Top each slice with about 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the almond cream. Cover with the peach slices and sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the bread is golden. Once out of the oven, sift the icing sugar over the bostock.
There are two types of almond paste typically available in grocery stores. An almond paste with a higher percentage of almonds (between 45 and 52%) is less sweet and works better for recipes, like this one, where the paste needs to be creamed or puréed.
If you would like to omit the peaches in this recipe, you can replace the peach syrup with the same quantity of simple syrup flavoured with vanilla, to taste.