- With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a skillet over medium heat, soften the onion and garlic in the oil. Transfer into a large bowl. Add the spinach, ricotta, feta, egg, breadcrumbs, dill, oregano and lemon zest to the bowl. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- On a work surface, using a pastry brush, cover 3 sheets of phyllo with melted butter and stack them one on top of the other. Line a small 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking sheet with the stack of phyllo. Cover with the spinach filling. Fold the edges of the phyllo in towards the centre just enough to hold in the filling.
- Cut the remaining 7 phyllo sheets in half widthwise to get a total of 14 rectangles. Butter each rectangle with melted butter as you go. Stack two buttered rectangles over the filling to cover. Crumple each remaining rectangle into the shape of a rose and place over the spanakopita. Cut the spanakopita into 12 equal pieces (see note).
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the dough is golden and crispy. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Cutting the spanakopita before cooking makes it easier to serve and prevents breaking apart the coveted crispy bits. To get neat wedges, cut the spanakopita into 6 squares, then cut each square into 2 triangles.