- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Generously butter an 18 x 13-inch (46 x 33 cm) non-stick baking sheet.
- On a work surface, lay two sheets of phyllo one on top of the other. Fold them accordion-style, widthwise, until they are about ¾ inch (2 cm) thick, and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets to completely cover the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Drizzle the butter evenly over the phyllo. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until smooth.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the phyllo. Bake for another 30 minutes or until the phyllo is golden brown.
- With 10 minutes of baking time remaining, prepare the syrup. In a saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil until the sugar is completely dissolved. Cook for 5 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 234°F (112°C). Remove from the heat.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Immediately drizzle the syrup evenly over the cake. Let cool for 1 to 2 hours. Serve the crinkle cake warm or chilled.