- In a large dish, combine the chili sauce, soy sauce, hoisin, brown sugar, sesame oil and spices. Add the meat and coat well in the marinade. Cover and let marinate for 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, combine the rice vinegar, lime juice, brown sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, cilantro, onion and carrot. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill, setting the burners to medium. Oil the grate.
- Drain the beef and discard the marinade. Grill the meat for 10 minutes or until nicely caramelized, turning over halfway through. Place on a cutting board and slice into pieces, if desired.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and add the black sesame seeds. Mix well and adjust the seasoning.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the beef with the white sesame seeds and garnish the salad with cilantro leaves.
If not available, you can replace the chili garlic sauce with a mix of 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil, 2 tsp (10 ml) sambal oelek and 2 chopped garlic cloves.
Taken from a cross cut of beef ribs, pre-sliced short rib can be found at certain butcher shops. If not available, you can use very thin slices of beef, such as sandwich steak, and grill for 2 minutes on each side.