- In a small saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil. Keep warm.
- Preheat the oil in the deep fryer to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Place the flour on a plate, the eggs in a shallow bowl and the breadcrumbs in a second bowl.
- Gently coat each piece of tofu in the flour, and then dip them in the egg and the breadcrumbs. Fry immediately until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Divide among four or eight square shallow bowls. Garnish with the green onions, cilantro, and bonito flakes. Pour the broth at the bottom of the bowls at the last moment.
We mimic dashi (dried bonito and seaweed broth) by adding fish sauce to the broth.
Bonito is a fish species belonging to the Scombridae family, such as mackerel or tuna.