- Peel the onion without cutting off the root.
- Insert 2 wooden skewers in a cross-shape near the root of the onion, to keep the knife from slicing through. With the top side up, slice the onion downward, getting very close to the root. Begin by slicing in half, then in quarters, sixths, and so on.
- Place the onions in a bowl of cold water for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oil in the deep fryer to high temperature.
- Drain the onions. Gently open the “petals” with your fingers. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and herbs. Generously dredge the onions between all the petals with the flour. Quickly dip the onion in water.
- Dredge in flour again.
- Dip the onions head first, one at a time, in the fryer. Fry for 7 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Place the onion blossom on a platter. Serve with the dip.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients.
If you can’t find creamy horseradish, blend the mayonnaise with seafood cocktail sauce.
Instant flour is preferable for this recipe because it has a grainy texture. It has the advantage of being more easily incorporated without lumping. It is found at the grocery store with the other varieties of flour. Use it also to bind your sauces.