- Evenly pat the dough into a 23-cm (9-inch) square pie plate with 2.5-cm (1-inch) high sides and a removable bottom (see note). Press firmly onto the bottom and sides of the plate. With a fork, prick the bottom of the pastry. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Reduce the oven’s temperature to 165 °C (325 °F).
- In a large bowl, combine the nuts and fruit. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the almond paste and sugar. Add the eggs and pulse until smooth. Add the cream, rum, and orange zest. Pour into the bowl with the fruit and nuts. Combine thoroughly.
- Pour into the crust. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the pie is golden brown. Serve cold.
A square pie plate makes for a different look on a pie table. Alternatively, you can use a round 23-cm (9-inch) pie plate.