- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, egg, crackers, and sambal oelek. Let rest for about 10 minutes. Add the crab meat and stir until it breaks into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour on a baking sheet or large plate. Set aside.
- With your hands, shape the patties using about 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of the crab mixture for each and place on the baking sheet. Dust with flour.
- In a large non-stick skillet, brown half the patties at a time in the oil for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towel.
- Place the crab cakes on a serving platter or board. Garnish with a little mayonnaise, a slice of tomato and a basil leaf. Season with pepper. Serve immediately.
To freeze and reheat:
Freeze the cooked bites on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and transfer them into a freezer sealable plastic bag. When serving the already cooked bites, heat them for 15 to 20 minutes on a baking sheet in the middle of a 180 °C (350 °F) preheated oven.