Dark Chocolate Pastry Cream
Chocolate Pastry Cream
- Place chocolate in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan off the heat, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add eggs and 125 ml (½ cup) of milk and beat with a whisk until smooth. Stir in remaining milk and cream.
- Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. Simmer for about 30 seconds. Pour over chocolate. Let melt for 1 minute without stirring. With a whisk, stir thoroughly. Add butter and stir until melted and smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on cream. Let cool and refrigerate for about 3 hours or until completely chilled.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Butter two 20-cm (8-inch) springform pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine cocoa powder, milk, coffee, oil and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a third bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth. At low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with cocoa mixture.
- Divide batter between pans and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool. Unmould and let completely cool on a wire rack.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. It will be used at step 12 to dry the crumbled cake.
- Cut cake in half horizontally to make four slices. Set aside.
- With your fingers, finely crumble one slice of cake (a top one) on the baking sheet and spread it well. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a food processor, pulse cake crumble into crumbs. Pass through a fine sieve to get only fine crumbs. Discard crumbs remaining at the bottom of the sieve. Set aside.
- Beat chocolate pastry cream with an electric mixer for about 1 minute or until it slightly thickens. Spoon 375 ml (1 ½ cups) of chocolate pastry cream into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip.
- Garnish bottom cake layers with a third of the remaining chocolate pastry cream and pile them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Top with the remaining slice of cake and cover entire cake with remaining chocolate pastry cream. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until frosting hardens slightly.
- Completely cover cake with crumbs, pressing lightly. Gently smooth crumbs with your hands to get the velvet look. There will be extra cake crumbs (see note).
- With a large spatula, place cake on a serving dish. With a piping bag filled with pastry cream, decorate the bottom of the cake and add a rosette shape at the centre of the cake. Refrigerate. Serve cold or at room temperature.
You can save remaining cake crumbs for another use, such as garnishing a fruit salad or ice cream.