Rack of Pork
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Season the meat with salt and pepper. In a large ovenproof skillet, brown the meat in the oil. Add the thyme and garlic.
- Roast in the oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the centre of the roast reads 57 °C (135 °F). Place the meat on a platter and cover with aluminum foil. The temperature of the roast should rise to 63 °C (145 °F).
- In a saucepan, brown the garlic and spices in the oil. Add the maple syrup and simmer until it caramelizes, about 5 minutes (see note). Deglaze with the cognac and reduce for 1 minute. Add 500 ml (2 cups) of the broth, whisking constantly and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining broth (250 ml / 1 cup) and drizzle in the sauce while whisking. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by one third. Just before serving, add the coffee.
- Spoon the sauce over the meat and serve with Baked Fingerling Potatoes and Fennel (see recipe).
Caramelizing maple syrup means cooking the syrup until the water has almost completely evaporated. There will only remain a small amount of syrup, which will become frothy. Beware, with such a small amount, it can burn quickly.