Tofu and Mushrooms
- With both racks in the middle positions, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Spread out the tofu slices on one baking sheet and the mushrooms on the second baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Using a pastry brush, cover the tofu with one-third of the mixture. Pour the remaining mixture over the mushrooms and toss to coat well. Bake both sheets at the same time for 20 minutes, stirring the mushrooms halfway through cooking (it is not necessary to flip over the tofu).
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the vinegar and sugar. Add the carrot and marinate for 15 minutes. Drain before using.
- Cut the bread in half horizontally without going all the way through to the other side. Open the bread like a book and cover the inside with mayonnaise. Cut the bread into 4 equal pieces.
- Divide the tofu and mushrooms among the sandwiches. Top with the marinated carrots, cucumber, cilantro, green onion and chili pepper, if desired.