- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Butter a 23 x 13-cm (9 x 5-inch) loaf pan (a 1.5-litre (6-cup) capacity pan) and line with a strip of parchment paper, letting it hang over both sides.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine bananas, coconut milk and lime juice. Set aside.
- In a third bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. At low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with banana mixture.
- Pour into the loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack before removing from the pan and slicing.
You won’t taste coconut milk in this recipe. We use it because it creates a softer crust. Once a coconut milk can is open, you can freeze leftovers. If you don’t have it on hand, replace coconut milk and lime juice with 125 ml (½ cup) of sour cream.